Our project proposed identifying 10 farms to conduct case studies of their harvest wash and pack efficiency as well as their food safety protocols. We had 12 farms that participated in all or parts of our case study. We identified “good” examples and shared their techniques, similarly we identified farms without good set-ups and helped them to update their harvest wash and pack operations. We identified farms that wanted to improve their food safety protocols, some wanted to become GAPs certified and others just wanted to be more aware of how to handle food safely.
Proposed: Recruit 10 farms
We worked with 12 farms
Case studied all 12 farms
Redesigned wash stations on 3 farms
Proposed: Assisting 20 farms with writing food safety plans
Assisted 3 farms with writing plans. This was advertised but few farms responded with interest.
Proposed: 1-2 field days on a tour of 3-4 farms
Held 1 field day on 1 farm: Farms were less interested in GAPs than in harvest efficiency, we felt that there would not be enough turnout for a full day event.
Proposed: 1-2 farmer meetings
We presented videos and discussion at two farmer meetings, videos were also shown at the NOFA conference.
Proposed: conducting labor time trials on case study farms
We had difficulty getting farms to fill out papers and return them to us for evaluation, 3 farms did return their paperwork. Instead, we used more anecdotal observations about efficient harvest and washing systems, and highlighted these in our articles and videos.