Final Report for FNE04-527
Note to reader, attached is the complete final report for FNE04-527.
Important results of my research:
1. Awareness and understanding of parasite life cycles leads to better management practices.
2. Very careful pasture management is vital for successfully raising healthy organic lambs on grass.
3. April/May for ewes and August/September are critical months (particularly if it is hot and wet… so maybe July as well) sheep may need to be monitored weekly for H. contortus as infections can increase rapidly.
4. Garlic treatment does work most of the time but appears less effective on extreme infections in some individuals so early diagnosis is important.
5. FAMACHA is a lot easier than fecal samples.
6. Replacement ewes and rams should be selected for parasite resistance.
7. There is a need for more research.