Ms. Faillace applied to SARE for support of a community organization called “Rootswork.” Founded by herself and others, the aim of Rootswork is to revitalize agriculture in this community where tourism has become the economic mainstay.
Rootswork has secured the use of a 90-acre farm, and has used this farm to launch a number of projects, including:
– Demonstration of rotational grazing for sheep, and monitoring of pasture improvement;
– Wetlands protection;
– Development of a forest use plan;
– Establishment of community gardens, gardens of herbs and rare native plants and, with the cooperation of the local school administration, a school garden;
– Various pasture walks, workshops, and community events;
– Promotion of sound environmental stewardship.
The project continued in 1999 as FNE99-241. The ultimate aim is to establish Rootswork as a permanent, self-financing, community development organization.