Project objectives from proposal:
1. Consolidate existing knowledge related to oil seed crops demonstrated in this region and other similar regions (soil and nutrient requirements, yields, etc.)
2. Explore available land and soil qualities for use in such an agri-industry
3. Incorporate stakeholder interviews to understand potential interest for farmer cooperation, community concerns, market interest, etc.
4. Summarize available biodiesel processing products, technologies and transport logistics including consolidation of results from related feasibility studies
5. Explore the impact of scale on such an operation in this climate (single on-farm operation, co-op scale, regional scale, county scale, mixed-scale)
6. Explore market feasibility (farmer use / cooperation scenarios, equipment warranty considerations, surplus markets, etc.)
This project will be led by Callahan Engineering, LLC with support and collaboration from local farmers, the Washington County Farm Bureau, Cornell Cooperative Extension Service, Natural Resource Conservation Service, Washington County Soil & Water Conservation District, Washington County Dept. of Planning and Community Development, and Washington County Local Development Corporation.