- Fruits: berries (strawberries), grapes, melons, peaches
- Vegetables: asparagus, cabbages, carrots, cucurbits, eggplant, greens (leafy), peas (culinary), peppers, radishes (culinary), tomatoes
- Additional Plants: herbs
- Crop Production: conservation tillage
- Education and Training: workshop, youth education
- Farm Business Management: marketing management, new enterprise development
- Pest Management: physical control
- Production Systems: organic agriculture, permaculture
- Soil Management: earthworms, organic matter
- Sustainable Communities: sustainability measures
Seniors and residents of low-income neighborhoods lack access to affordable fresh fruit and vegetables. Farmers in our area of Lancaster County and southeastern Pennsylvania have limited opportunities for direct marketing. We propose a Mobile Farmers Market (MFM) that delivers fresh produce to seniors at independent living facilities and to residents of low-income neighborhoods throughout Lancaster County, where we are located, and adjoining areas in Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery counties.
Project objectives from proposal:
We seek to address the needs of three groups:
(1) Seniors and residents of low-income neighborhoods lack of access to affordable fresh fruit and vegetables.
(2) Offer direct marketing opportunities for Farmers in our area of Lancaster County and southeastern Pennsylvania.
(3) Provide Dig It! Young farmers with an opportunity to expand their marketing opportunities.