- Education and Training: demonstration, extension, networking, on-farm/ranch research, workshop
Our future Extension educators, NRCS conservationists and leaders are the Agriculture and natural resource college students across the North Central Region. These students expressed an interest in learning about sustainable agriculture concepts and what campus organizations have done to increase the awareness of sustainable agriculture.
A North Central Region Conference for students interested in sustainable agriculture was planned and organized by students from the North Central Region. The conference provided an opportunity for students to learn about sustainable agriculture concepts, experience on-farm research, and learn from each other.
1. Two hundred graduate and undergraduate students will participate in a North Central Region Students of Sustainable Agriculture Conference.
2. A resource guide and conference proceedings will be developed for use by students attending the conference, and will be available to others.
3. A website will be developed to link college students and organizations across the North Central Region.
Short Term Outcomes:
1. Graduate and undergraduate students will become aware of the viability of sustainable agriculture and importance of farmer-based knowledge.
2. Graduate and undergraduate students will become more knowledgeable of the sustainable agriculture concepts and principles.
3. Students will learn from each other how to:
-strengthen sustainable agriculture curricula on their campuses
-develop projects, events, lectures, etc. that lead to greater awareness by others.
-establish gardens, demonstrations, and farms on their campuses
1. Students will develop plans on their campuses to build greater awareness of sustainable agriculture.
2. Students will initiate demonstrations, research projects, and events on their campuses.
1. Students will develop regional networks for communication and sharing of information.
2. As future Extension educators, NRCS employees and leaders, these students will incorporate the concepts of sustainability in their recommendations and actions.