Training in Alternative Research Strategies for Sustainable Farming Systems
As a followup to agents expressed needs in the previous year in learning more about on-farm research methodology, a pre-conference workshop was planned for extension agents in conjunction with the annual meeting of the 2003 Carolina Farm Stewardship Association. Easy-to-understand information on probability, the need for statistics, and basics in experimental design were presented. Only three extension agents were present.
Extension agents who earlier participated in the project and other agents in general were invited to the November 7, 2003 workshop. Participants would learn:
– regard farmers as co-researchers
– working with farmers in deciding how to evaluate the results of an experiment
– how to select and replicate treatments
– randomization and recommended field experimental designs
– pros and cons of single location trials
– usefulness of multi-location trials
Only three extension agents participated in the workshop. None indicated that on-farm research activity was planned as yet in their respective counties.