- Animals: goats, sheep
- Animal Production: grazing - continuous, pasture renovation, grazing - rotational
- Education and Training: decision support system, extension, farmer to farmer, networking
- Farm Business Management: new enterprise development, marketing management, value added, whole farm planning
- Production Systems: holistic management
- Soil Management: composting
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities, partnerships, employment opportunities, social capital, social networks
The number of small ruminant animals (sheep and goats) on Kentucky farms has grown rapidly over the past several years as farmers look for a means to replace lost tobacco income. The response of Extension and other agriculture professionals has been primarily focused on production practices and techniques. This project is directed towards adding value to the production of these animals.