- Additional Plants: native plants
- Animals: bovine, goats, sheep
- Animal Production: grazing - multispecies, range improvement, grazing - rotational
- Education and Training: demonstration, extension, on-farm/ranch research
- Natural Resources/Environment: biodiversity, habitat enhancement
- Pest Management: biological control, weed ecology
- Production Systems: holistic management, integrated crop and livestock systems
Conduct a 2-year regional project to build capacity in participants to develop collaborative producer programs using a systems approach to design and implement projects that integrate multi-species grazing as part of an Integrated Pest Management approach to control noxious weeds. During Year 1, 30 ag professionals and ranchers participated in a series of 4 workshops. In Year 2, participants worked on developing on-the-ground projects to implement the principles learned. This effort resulted in several of the proposed projects being implemented and/or funded. The project sponsored a regional conference and the production of a video depicting project activities and concepts.
Conduct a regional project (Washington, Idaho, Oregon and California) to build capacity in participants to develop collaborative producer programs using a holistic/systems approach that includes multi-species grazing as one tool in an Integrated Pest Management approach to control noxious weeds.
Measurable objectives include:
(1) Thirty participants will understand principles introduced in the prescribed workshop series by November 30, 2002.
(2) A minimum of 6 management/support groups made up of participants and livestock graziers (6-12 people per group) will be formed by November 30, 2002.
(3) A minimum of 6 on-the-ground projects utilizing planned grazing and/or multi-species grazing to control noxious weeds will be designed and initiated by June 30, 2003.
(4) A regional conference will be held in November 2003 to assess the impacts of this project and to extend the lessons learned to others.
(5) A video documenting the project’s activities and impacts will be produced