- Agronomic: barley, canola, flax, millet, sunflower, wheat, grass (misc. perennial), hay
- Additional Plants: herbs
- Animals: bovine
- Animal Production: feed/forage
- Crop Production: conservation tillage
- Education and Training: demonstration, farmer to farmer, mentoring, networking, on-farm/ranch research, participatory research, technical assistance
- Farm Business Management: new enterprise development, budgets/cost and returns, value added
- Natural Resources/Environment: soil stabilization
- Pest Management: competition, weed ecology
- Soil Management: green manures, organic matter, soil analysis, soil quality/health
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities, partnerships, social capital, sustainability measures
AERO and a collaboration of partners plan to host sustainable and organic field tours and organize a statwide organic training conference with a focus on sustainable agriculture and organic principles relating to dryland and livestock production. A variety of educational materials will be developed and distributed. As a result of the educational opportunities this project provides in Montana, ag service providers, researchers and farmers and ranchers will have a deeper and broader understanding of sustainable and organic systems and have easier access to sustainable and organic materials and resources.
Project objectives from proposal:
Assess the educational needs of ag service providers in the field of sustainable and organic agriculture.
Work with farmers, ranchers and ag service providers to develop and deliver sustainable and organic educational opportunities that will address the needs identified in the assessment, such as; farm and ranch tours, workshops and trainings.
Evaluate the educational venues and materials developed and shared through this participatory educational project.