- Fruits: general tree fruits
- Crop Production: conservation tillage
- Education and Training: extension, on-farm/ranch research
- Pest Management: biological control, mulches - living, mulching - vegetative, weed ecology
- Production Systems: transitioning to organic
- Soil Management: green manures, organic matter, soil analysis
Sunn hemp can be used as a green manure cover crop to control weeds, nematodes, and other pests, add nutrients to the soil, and prevent soil erosion. These benefits from sunn hemp act to increase soil health in agricultural fields. Overall, fields cover cropped with sunn hemp exhibit a more robust and complex soil nematode community—a sign of a healthy soil ecosystem. Innovative growers have recognized the benefits of sunn hemp and are seeking seeds and desire collaboration with researchers as these producers integrate sunn hemp into their individual cropping systems.
Project objectives:div style="margin-left:1em;">
- To establish field day demonstrations for maximizing sunn hemp establishment and biomass productivity.
To demonstrate the qualities of sunn hemp as a surface residue.