- Education and Training: display, extension, farmer to farmer, mentoring, networking, workshop, technical assistance
- Farm Business Management: whole farm planning, new enterprise development, marketing management, agricultural finance, risk management, value added, agritourism
- Sustainable Communities: leadership development, new business opportunities, urban/rural integration, analysis of personal/family life, employment opportunities, social capital, social networks
Agritourism is a fast-growing diversification strategy for small and mid-size farms in California, but most agricultural professionals are unfamiliar with the possibilities and challenges of agritourism development. To help develop supportive networks, we organized five regional workshops, with 355 total participants, featuring presentations by agritourism operators, marketing professionals, agricultural advisors and county planning staff. We facilitated brainstorming and networking among agritourism industry partners from multiple counties in each region. All workshop participants received regular newsletters and social media communication. Evaluations and follow-up surveys show increased knowledge, new enterprise development, new regional and statewide collaborations and changes to county zoning ordinances.
- Increased knowledge by 300 regional professionals of agritourism operation activities, development, marketing and challenges
Increased awareness by 300 regional professionals of regional agritourism organization development and best practices for organizational sustainability
Introduction to other regional professionals interested in agritourism development.
Ability by 100 workshop participants to participate in organizing introductory workshops for farmers and ranchers considering agritourism
Ability by 100 workshop participants to participate in regional agritourism organization development
Increased communication and networking among at least 20 workshop participants within each region for the purpose of agritourism development.
The establishment of 2 to 7 new agritourism operations in each region within 12 months.
Profitable participation in public sustainable agriculture education programs by 2 to 7 new agritourism operators in each region within 12 months.
The development of at least 2 new sustainable regional agritourism organizations nurtured or facilitated by workshop participants throughout California within 2 years.
A statewide coalition of agritourism professionals, operators, promoters, supporters, regulators and advisors.
- Encourage easing of permitting and regulatory barriers to new agritourism operations
Encourage business planning, risk management, hospitality skill development and effective marketing by farmers and ranchers diversifying with agritourism.