- Education and Training: demonstration, extension, workshop, technical assistance
- Farm Business Management: whole farm planning
- Natural Resources/Environment: carbon sequestration
- Production Systems: organic agriculture
- Soil Management: organic matter
The California Climate and Agriculture Network (CalCAN) is a coalition of sustainable agriculture organizations that seeks policy solutions to support California agriculture in adapting to and providing solutions for climate change. This grant from Western SARE funded a project called “Farming Strategies for Coping with Climate Change.” It provided training and practical tools on climate change adaptation for agricultural professionals from NRCS, Cooperative Extension and Resource Conservation Districts.
We intended to produce a series of workshops and farm tours, webinars, video seminars and written materials on the role of sustainable agriculture in providing climate benefits (both mitigation and adaptation). This project built upon the lessons learned in a project previously funded by SARE in 2009, incorporating participant feedback and integrating new research.