- Miscellaneous: mushrooms
- Crop Production: continuous cropping
- Education and Training: on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: whole farm planning, new enterprise development, feasibility study, market study
- Production Systems: general crop production
- Sustainable Communities: local and regional food systems, new business opportunities, analysis of personal/family life, sustainability measures
By utilizing a minimal amount of time and space, keeping things simple, and using by-products of the family farm, we show that a farming/ranching family can grow and sell organic portabella and white button mushrooms for an exponential profit. This benefits both the family and community by providing a top quality, fresh, organic, nutrient rich food at a farmers market and at the farm.