- Agronomic: buckwheat, grass (misc. perennial), millet, potatoes
- Fruits: berries (strawberries)
- Crop Production: alley cropping, cover crops
- Pest Management: integrated pest management
- Soil Management: soil quality/health
In response to the problem of unsustainable staple-crop agriculture, this project will explore growing four highly nutritious staple food crops, amaranth, buckwheat, millet, and quinoa, in the Western Allegheny Plateau of Southeastern Ohio. Trial plantings will serve as demonstrations of these crops in this climate, as well as the use of staple food crops within sophisticated systems of sustainable agriculture.