A growth and feed comparison study with a focus on organically grown high methionine grains for broiler chickens
In summary for my two year project goals I have done a great amount of preparation and research to put me in a very strong place for my upcoming year and to achieve much more of the tangible work. My timetable was slightly off, as I did not recieve funds or noification of awarding the grant early enough to plant last year. In hindsight, that was a blessing; had I tried to hit the ground running right away I do not think it would have been possible to do nearly as good of a job of planting and managing as I am set up to do this year.
My first objective is to get all the seeds in the ground in a timely fashion. Then to maintain the fields to the best of my ability. When the time comes I will have them harvested, and I will measure them and send them in for testing. I will then feed them out to my chickens and measure growth and feed conversion. For this last step I may have to ask for an extension, it will depend on the time of last harvest.
Last season I was unable to jump into my project because I could not start early enough in spring and once a planting date has passed it has passed. So I did research, I practiced and I got my ducks in a row. I jumped a big paper work hurdle getting a seed import permit for the hybrid millet. Though I had missed the planting date for a grain harvest I bought forage millet and practiced planting, which being a small seed lends itself to some difficulty. I aquired a grain grinder and grain bins and ground my own feed all year, important practice at knowing how to mix and grind a feed so that difference between mixes will be easier to manage and notice. I thoroughly discussed harvesting with the farmer I plan to pay to combine my plots. I engaged in further discussions and reading in the mixing of feed and the handling of these less common grains.
Impacts and Contributions/Outcomes
Most of what I have done has been a set up for what I will do, for that I am very eager.