- Agronomic: potatoes
- Crop Production: food product quality/safety
- Education and Training: extension, on-farm/ranch research, participatory research
- Pest Management: physical control
- Production Systems: organic agriculture
- Soil Management: nutrient mineralization, organic matter
This is the final report for our Organic potato variety trials. It centers on post-harvest work and follows the potatoes right thru the store and into the consumer’s hands.
In this report, we will show the results of the taste testing that we did in cooperation with the Marquette Food Coop, in Marquette, Michigan, where they were marketed.
Project objectives:div style="margin-left:1em;">
Unlike most commercial farm experiments that only center around field conditions, yield, and the bottom line, with little regard for the health of the consumer, our trials included a taste testing with the general public. It is the culmination of the project, as we feel that if the consumer does not like what is put on the store shelves, farmers should change and grow what people like. This trial data was used to determine what consumers like, which we in turn will use to determine what to plant in the future.
The results were a pleasant surprise for the Organic Industry.