- Agronomic: Micro greens
- Crop Production: Growth mediums
The problem remains one of finding economic viability for the small scale microgreen grower. Our research so far is leading us to the path of composting and reuse of the soilless mixes. Completely changed from where I started. Thought for certain I would find another medium but instead ended up with composting the soilless mix.The comparison across the initial 27 weeks supports this idea. I am currently composting the used soilless mix and will compare it to previous results.
Our project objectives remain unchanged.
- Identify a microgreen growing medium more economical and environmentally friendly than a purchased soilless mix.
- Protect peat moss environments in Canada and associated flora and fauna by identifying an alternative microgreen growing medium.
- Lower commercial crop production cost of microgreens.
- Empower kids and their families to grow low cost, nutritious, economically sound and ecologically friendly food.