- Animal Products: dairy
- Education and Training: farmer to farmer, workshop
- Farm Business Management: agritourism, value added, educational classes
On-farm agricultural education, including classes and demonstrations, is growing in the U.S.. Little farmer-focused information is available on how to develop and execute food educational programming for farmers. This project develops a "toolkit" for developing on-farm educational initiatives that can be used by farmers for planning farm-based demonstrations and visits. The "tool-kit" will be beta tested on educational initiatives being launched by two working processing facilities: a farmstead cheese processing facility and a winery. A case study will be developed for the benefit of other farmers who may want to give agritourism a try on their own farm. The project will highlight food safety and biosecurity issues related to on-farm tourism.
After reviewing available literature in the public domain, we will create a technical curriculum describing topics that we will cover in the class, including background information and hand-outs. A post-evaluation survey will be developed and completed by our students. We will develop a case study, in the format of a short article and power point, discussing our experiences with on-farm tourism. The case study article and power-point presentation describing our curriculum "tool-kit" will be made available to other farmers, especially cheese makers, interested in launching on-farm educational initiatives.
- Expand the knowledge base on hosting on-farm agricultural education
- Develop a tool-kit that guides the farmer host through the on-farm educational event
- Develop a curriculum mapping template that guides the user through the planning
- Evaluate the usefulness of the toolkit and curriculum mapping template on a series of three on-farm cheese making initiatives to be held at Baetje Farms Chaumette
- Communicate project results using a case study approach and Powerpoint presentation, so that others involved in farm tourism can provide helpful feedback on tool-kit and curriculum mapping