- Additional Plants: ornamentals
- Crop Production: agroforestry
- Education and Training: demonstration
- Natural Resources/Environment: biodiversity, habitat enhancement
- Production Systems: permaculture
With innovative, but proper, management practices, woodlands and other marginal acres can provide aesthetic and monetary returns.
Objectives: To produce and market poplar horticultural plants to generate significant annual revenue from unproductive woodlands. The coordinator plans to clear one acre of woodlands, install fencing to deter deer and rabbit grazing, and plant 35 different varieties of hostas in separate plots.
Results: Clearing and planting has begun, and the project has been extended for one year for further development and evaluation.