- Agronomic: corn, millet, grass (misc. perennial), hay
- Animal Products: dairy
- Animal Production: pasture fertility, grazing - rotational, feed/forage
- Education and Training: on-farm/ranch research, participatory research
- Farm Business Management: whole farm planning, feasibility study
- Soil Management: soil quality/health
- Sustainable Communities: sustainability measures
Grass-based dairying, utilizing a rotational grazing system, provides an aternative for family farmers to maximize income and lower costs.
Objective: To demonstrate why rotational grazing of dairy cattle is more efficient than dry-lot methods.
Existing grass pastures wre renovated by frost-seeding legumes. Warm-season annuals were seeded for summer grazing, and fencing was installed for a rotational grazing system.
Results: Seeding and fencing was completed. Due to unforeseen circumstances, only limited grazing was conducted in 1998. The project will be extended to gather additional data.