- Agronomic: grass (misc. perennial), hay
- Animals: bovine
- Animal Production: pasture renovation, grazing - rotational, feed/forage
- Crop Production: conservation tillage
- Education and Training: demonstration, extension, farmer to farmer, on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: feasibility study
- Production Systems: holistic management, integrated crop and livestock systems
Alfalfa is drought tolerant and, like other legumes, fixes nitrogen and enhances soil. This beef farmer will experiment with the method and timing of seeding alfalfa into an existing pasture while still keeping his animals in pasture rotation. The goal is to determine if this is a reliable and cost-effective way of establishing alfalfa in grass pasture.