- Nuts: general nuts
- Additional Plants: native plants
- Crop Production: agroforestry
- Education and Training: demonstration, on-farm/ranch research
- Natural Resources/Environment: afforestation, habitat enhancement, soil stabilization, wildlife
- Pest Management: field monitoring/scouting, genetic resistance
The chestnut tree was once abundant on this particular farm, and the project is to re-establish a viable population of healthy trees in a native ecosystem. These trials will also be used as a demonstration to educate the public and other farmers about the economic potential of the American chestnut.