- Fruits: apples, pears, plums
- Vegetables: carrots, parsnips
- Crop Production: crop rotation, intercropping, multiple cropping, conservation tillage
- Production Systems: organic agriculture
- Soil Management: organic matter
Because it may take five to ten years to establish an orchard, this project is aimed at developing an integrated cropping system to allow for early returns. Sea buckthorn, small grains, and vegetables will be grown between the apple trees in the orchard, and the farmer will compare his returns with orchard budgets prepared by Cooperative Extension.