Technical assistance for sheep dairy farms.

Project Overview

FNE00-353
Project Type: Farmer
Funds awarded in 2000: $5,600.00
Projected End Date: 12/31/2001
Matching Non-Federal Funds: $5,600.00
Region: Northeast
State: Vermont
Project Leader:

Commodities

  • Animals: sheep
  • Animal Products: dairy

Practices

  • Animal Production: grazing - rotational

    Proposal summary:

    To improve the quality, consistency and efficiency of production of a cooperatively produced cheese with the help of an experienced technical advisor. Vermont Shepherd Cheese is a high quality aged sheeps’ milk cheese made on individual farms is marketed around the country and available in gourmet food shops and restaurants. The seven producers of this cheese hope to examine the problems involved in creating a cheese of consistent high quality which can be sold under a common name. Cheeses are graded each month at the aging cave by a panel of 3 – a producer, an ager from the cave, and a retailer. At this point approximately 80% of cheeses are of 1st quality and remaining 20% of lower quality. About 1-2% of the total production is rejected as gassy or ‘bad’ tasting.

    Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the U.S. Department of Agriculture or SARE.