- Vegetables: beets, broccoli, onions
- Crop Production: no-till, nutrient cycling
- Pest Management: field monitoring/scouting
- Production Systems: general crop production
- Soil Management: organic matter, soil analysis, nutrient mineralization
Time and energy spent on weed management puts economic pressure on all producers, and this part-time farmer will experiment with hardwood chips as an effective mulch for his organic vegetables grown in a no-cultivation system. He will assess the effect of the chips on germination, transplanting, and plant vigor, with the three-year goal of reducing by half the time spent managing weeds. The project will also make limited use of plastic as a mulch, particularly in the spring when the soil needs to be warmed.