- Animals: bees
- Animal Production: parasite control
- Education and Training: on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: community-supported agriculture
- Natural Resources/Environment: biodiversity, indicators
- Pest Management: cultural control, disease vectors, field monitoring/scouting, genetic resistance, integrated pest management, mating disruption, physical control
This project will integrate the recent development of Varroa-mite-tolerant honey bees with advances in sustainable methods of managing mites and disease, with a particular focus on rearing healthy, locally-adapted, mite-tolerant queens. The farmer will breed queens for resistance, hygienic behavior, high brood viability, good temperament, honey production, and winter hardiness. Outreach will be through beekeepers’ associations and workshops.