- Fruits: berries (other)
- Education and Training: demonstration, farmer to farmer, on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: new enterprise development, marketing management
- Pest Management: biological control, chemical control, integrated pest management, physical control, weather monitoring
- Production Systems: general crop production
- Sustainable Communities: urban agriculture
This project was triggered by the accidental observation that a certain tender variety of raspberry grown in pots produced an exceptional crop after being put in protected cold storage over the winter. The farmer will repeat the accident, this time deliberately, and keep careful records of overwintering, cost, and yield compared with field-grown berries. The overall goal is to see if it is possible to grow superior berries for high-end markets using new production strategies. Two local marketing specialists will participate, and the farmer will host a field day and disseminate his results through newsletters and extension.