- Agronomic: oats
- Fruits: general small fruits
- Crop Production: cover crops
- Education and Training: demonstration, on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: value added
- Pest Management: mulches - killed
- Production Systems: general crop production
Black currants are hardy and have the potential to diversify farms and improve profitability. The farmer will integrate black currants into an operation that includes poultry, blueberries, vegetables, cut flowers, and herbs. He will sell the currants wholesale but also explore pick-your-own and adding value by making black currant jam. He will also work with a local winery to see if the currants can be used there. He will note which varieties seem the most suited for the climate and which produce the best juice, wine, and jelly. The farmer will host a field day and develop a handout on black current cultivation.