- Vegetables: asparagus
- Crop Production: conservation tillage
- Education and Training: farmer to farmer
- Farm Business Management: community-supported agriculture
- Production Systems: general crop production
- Soil Management: organic matter
Asparagus is profitable and is ready for market early in the season, but is also high maintenance because of the need for frequent weeding. The farmer has noticed that volunteer red clover tends to reduce weed growth and enhance quality, and he will compare Dutch white clover, crimson clover, buckwheat, rape, straw mulch, and no cover to see what results emerge. The treatments will continue for three years; weed growth and crop productivity will be monitored and compared, and the results will be offered for publication in newsletters and at grower gatherings. This continues a previous SARE project, FNE01-382.