- Additional Plants: ornamentals
- Crop Production: conservation tillage
- Education and Training: farmer to farmer, technical assistance
- Production Systems: general crop production
- Soil Management: green manures, organic matter, soil quality/health
- Sustainable Communities: sustainability measures
In perennial cut-flower production, attempts to control weeds often interfere with attempts to amend the soil, and soil amendments often encourage more weeds. To address these interlocking problems, the farmer will experiment with different cover crops to see which ones encourage good perennial growth with minimal competition, focusing on field peas, clover, buckwheat, vetch, and alfalfa. Plant health will be evaluated, and the project results will be offered to other growers as a potential alternative to using herbicides and landscape cloth.