Project Type: Farmer
Funds awarded in 2002: $1,006.00
Projected End Date: 12/31/2002
State: West Virginia
- Agronomic: grass (misc. perennial), hay
- Animal Production: feed/forage
- Crop Production: cover crops, organic fertilizers, tissue analysis
- Production Systems: general crop production
- Soil Management: green manures
This is a continuation of a previous SARE project addressing the use of farm-grown legume hay as a mulch for certain vegetables, especially acorn squash and basil. The farmer will apply three different levels of mulch and compare the N levels of each against a control plot. She will also refine the application techniques used in the previous grant that led to leaf blemishing on basil caused by wet fresh clippings. Results will be disseminated through an electronic discussion group, farm tours, and articles in grower newsletters.
Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the U.S. Department of Agriculture or SARE.