- Vegetables: peppers, tomatoes
- Additional Plants: herbs
- Crop Production: foliar feeding, organic fertilizers
- Pest Management: biological control, cultural control, integrated pest management, physical control, sanitation
- Production Systems: general crop production
- Soil Management: organic matter
A plug—a containerized transplant with a self-enclosed root system—saves time and labor, and means the grower can avoid expenses like greenhouse equipment, heat, and labor. Yet organic plugs are both expensive and available only on a limited basis. The farmer will evaluate whether organic plug production is feasible for her operation, and she will compare two media types and two fertilizers for efficacy. Herb and vegetable transplants will be grown to organic standards and evaluated, and a pro forma income and expense projection will be developed based on a 3000 square foot greenhouse operation. Outreach will be through workshops and the agricultural media.