- Vegetables: eggplant, peppers, tomatoes
- Additional Plants: herbs
- Crop Production: conservation tillage
- Education and Training: demonstration, display, extension, on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: community-supported agriculture
- Production Systems: holistic management
- Soil Management: earthworms, soil analysis, organic matter
Vermicompost, or compost produced by worms, has not been widely studied for its effectiveness. The farmers will compare vermicompost with composted dairy manure to measure the effect on tomatoes, peppers, basil, and various herbs in terms of yield, weight, quality, health, and time to maturity. They will also evaluate whether the effectiveness of vermicompost justifies the cost of production of it. Outreach will include a field day, extension communications, and presentations at farmer and gardener gatherings.