- Vegetables: greens (leafy)
- Crop Production: multiple cropping
- Education and Training: extension
- Pest Management: chemical control, physical control
- Production Systems: general crop production
There are about 12,000 acres of wetland farmland, or muckland, in Orange County, and the traditional onion crop is being undermined by low prices and climbing production costs. The project leader will work with farmers to see if an alternative crop of baby greens can be grown on muckland that will offer the necessary profit margin, particularly certain delicate varieties that need to be grown close to market because they do not transport well. Trial plots and economic analysis on four different varieties will be done, and the results will be disseminated in an extension newsletter.