- Agronomic: corn
- Animal Production: stockpiled forages
- Crop Production: cover crops, intercropping
- Education and Training: demonstration, on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: feasibility study
- Pest Management: mulches - living, row covers (for pests)
- Soil Management: organic matter, soil quality/health
Last year’s drought disrupted a trial of interseeding legumes into field corn to build nitrogen, reduce pesticides, and control erosion. The farmer wants to try the protocol again on his farm and will track corn yield, soil quality, density of legume cover, and costs compared to conventional corn production. There would also be a residue test the following spring to determine the bulk matter in the soil. Outreach will be through a field walk, a flyer, and the local media, and the data will be managed by NRCS.