- Vegetables: sweet corn
- Crop Production: foliar feeding, tissue analysis
- Education and Training: demonstration, extension, on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: budgets/cost and returns
- Pest Management: field monitoring/scouting, integrated pest management
- Production Systems: general crop production
- Soil Management: soil analysis
This continues a previous SARE grant, FNE02-446, which was disrupted by drought. The farmer has been reducing sweet corn inputs by eliminating the use of starter fertilizer, determining the effect of foliar feed during the growing season, and using the pre-sidedress soil nitrate test to determine when to broadcast or preplant nitrogen. He will conduct soil tests, foliar tissue tests, and a Brix test for sugar content, and track his yield per acre. Outreach will be through grower newsletters, grower conferences, and a field day.