- Animals: bees
- Animal Production: general animal production
- Education and Training: farmer to farmer, on-farm/ranch research
- Pest Management: genetic resistance
- Production Systems: holistic management
- Sustainable Communities: sustainability measures
The USDA Agricultural Research Service has confirmed that Russian honeybees are excellent for surviving New England winters and have a high tolerance for tracheal mites, but they are difficult to introduce into Italian bee colonies. Rejection rates can be as high as 30 percent, as compared to a standard queen rejection rate of 5 percent. This project will test three methods of queen introduction to packages of Italian honeybees. Outreach will be through articles, presentations, a web page, and a printed guide to managing Russian honeybees.