Project Type: Farmer
Funds awarded in 2004: $5,437.00
Projected End Date: 12/31/2004
State: West Virginia
Mountain Berry Farms
- Agronomic: rye
- Additional Plants: native plants
- Animals: rabbits
- Animal Production: housing, animal protection and health, feed rations, manure management, grazing - rotational
- Education and Training: extension, on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: feasibility study
- Soil Management: soil analysis, soil quality/health
- Sustainable Communities: sustainability measures
Due to the high cost of pelleted rabbit feed, rabbit farming ventures are often unsuccessful. This project will examine the feasibility of pasturing rabbits to sustain a rabbitry, allowing the producer to consider a seasonal approach to rabbit production. Outreach will be through publications and presentations.
Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the U.S. Department of Agriculture or SARE.