- Animals: shellfish
- Animal Production: animal protection and health, grazing - continuous
- Education and Training: demonstration, participatory research
- Farm Business Management: whole farm planning, feasibility study
- Pest Management: physical control
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities, employment opportunities, sustainability measures
Almost all East Coast shellfish aquaculture occurs in the intertidal zone and is devoted to raising littleneck clams. This project will investigate adapting intertidal shellfish aquaculture techniques to a subtidal (20 to 30 feet deep) site to raise an alternative species, sea clams, also known as butter clams. Outreach will be through meetings, written bulletins, newspaper articles, a consumer preference study, and e-mail networks.