- Miscellaneous: syrup
- Crop Production: agroforestry, forestry
- Education and Training: extension, farmer to farmer, mentoring, networking
- Farm Business Management: whole farm planning, marketing management
- Production Systems: agroecosystems
- Sustainable Communities: sustainability measures
Modern maple sugaring operations are energy intensive, requiring large amounts of electricity, fuel oil, or wood. This project will explore the feasibility of converting a maple sugaring operation to run on used vegetable oil (UVO). The project manager will look at converting his oil-powered maple syrup evaporator to one that runs on UVO, and will also investigate converting a diesel-powered generator to UVO to supply electricity. Outreach will be through presentations and articles.