Project Type: Farmer
Funds awarded in 2006: $8,917.00
Projected End Date: 12/31/2007
- Miscellaneous: syrup
- Crop Production: agroforestry, forestry
- Education and Training: extension, farmer to farmer, mentoring, networking
- Farm Business Management: whole farm planning, marketing management
- Production Systems: agroecosystems
- Sustainable Communities: sustainability measures
Modern maple sugaring operations are energy intensive, requiring large amounts of electricity, fuel oil, or wood. This project will explore the feasibility of converting a maple sugaring operation to run on used vegetable oil (UVO). The project manager will look at converting his oil-powered maple syrup evaporator to one that runs on UVO, and will also investigate converting a diesel-powered generator to UVO to supply electricity. Outreach will be through presentations and articles.
Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the U.S. Department of Agriculture or SARE.