- Animal Products: dairy
- Animal Production: housing, manure management
- Crop Production: conservation tillage
- Education and Training: extension, farmer to farmer, on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: whole farm planning
- Soil Management: organic matter
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities
This project will look at the impact of converting a traditional free-stall barn into a composting bedded pack barn for a dairy herd. Bedding material will be added to the barn as needed, the pack will be aerated each day, and natural ventilation and fans will help the pack compost. The compost will then be spread on the fields two times a year. Cow comfort and production parameters will be measured. Outreach will be through open houses, presentations, news releases, and a web site.