- Animals: swine
- Animal Production: feed/forage, housing, free-range
- Crop Production: agroforestry, forestry
- Education and Training: technical assistance, demonstration, extension, on-farm/ranch research, participatory research, workshop
- Farm Business Management: new enterprise development, marketing management, value added
- Production Systems: agroecosystems, integrated crop and livestock systems
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities, public participation, sustainability measures
Farmers are looking for ways to produce pigs that have a unique flavor that distinguishes them from commercially-produced hogs. This project will look at raising pigs in a forest environment, using oak-hickory mast as an alternative feed. The effects of the alternative feed on pork quality and flavor will be evaluated, as will the effect of swine stocking density on forest ecology. Outreach will be through field days, publications, and a web site.