- Additional Plants: ginger
- Education and Training: farmer to farmer, workshop
- Farm Business Management: marketing management
- Pest Management: physical control, prevention
- Production Systems: general crop production
Greenhouses can be underused during the summer for many vegetable and bedding plant producers in the Northeast. This project will continue a previously funded SARE project and explore a way of optimizing greenhouse and hoop house space by using the warm environments created in these structures to grow culinary ginger root; the project manager will also look at the feasibility of forcing earlier rooting, using a hoop house as an alternative growing structure, and growing the rhizomes in crates rather than bags. Outreach will be through a farm tour, an article in a farming publication, a winter conference workshop, and a synopsis on the grantee’s web site.