- Agronomic: oats, rye, sunflower, wheat, hay
- Animal Production: feed/forage
- Crop Production: conservation tillage
- Education and Training: demonstration, extension, farmer to farmer, on-farm/ranch research
- Pest Management: competition
- Production Systems: general crop production
Northeast farmers have found that they can successfully grow high-oil-content sunflowers for use as animal feed and for biodiesel production, but late-season weed control is an issue, as are the long drying season required and the inability to seed a winter cover crop, which leaves the soil vulnerable. This project will explore options of interseeding small grains and legumes that will smother weeds and provide a winter cover. Outreach will be through twilight meetings, articles, and possibly, television coverage.