- Additional Plants: native plants
- Animals: poultry
- Animal Production: housing, free-range, feed rations, pasture fertility, grazing - rotational
- Education and Training: on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: agricultural finance
- Production Systems: agroecosystems
- Sustainable Communities: urban/rural integration, analysis of personal/family life
Small farmers have found growing markets for high-quality pasture-raised poultry, and consumers have embraced a slow growing European-style broiler. Access to this bird has recently been made easier with the introduction of a new hatchery raising it, but this type of bird does have a slower grow-out time and poorer feed conversion than standard breeds. This study will evaluate the cost-effectiveness of raising the European-style bird in three housing systems to determine if it’s financially feasible for poultry producers to raise it. Outreach will be through a web site, articles, and an open house.