- Additional Plants: native plants, trees, ornamentals
- Animals: sheep
- Animal Production: grazing - rotational
- Crop Production: cover crops, double cropping, organic fertilizers, application rate management
- Education and Training: demonstration, mentoring
- Production Systems: holistic management, integrated crop and livestock systems
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities, partnerships
Weed competition in Christmas tree fields can cause a two-year delay in harvest, but mowing and weed whacking to control weeds significantly increases labor costs. This project will investigate using sheep in a rotational grazing system to manage grassy weed competition in Christmas tree fields. Assessments will be made of tree damage, weed control, economics, and the market weight of the lambs. Outreach will be through a farm tour, newsletter article, and a flyer for use at retail sales sites.