- Animal Products: honey
- Animal Production: housing
- Education and Training: demonstration, display, farmer to farmer, mentoring, on-farm/ranch research, workshop, youth education
- Farm Business Management: budgets/cost and returns, feasibility study, agricultural finance
- Pest Management: integrated pest management, mating disruption, sanitation
- Production Systems: organic agriculture
- Sustainable Communities: community planning, new business opportunities, urban agriculture, sustainability measures
Many beekeepers overwinter honeybees and accept the high losses; over time this reduces the number of pollinators and makes an area vulnerable to Africanized bee colonization. This two-year project will explore new overwintering techniques, including whether it is more cost- effective to simply install new bees each spring, and whether overwintering techniques can affect mites and viruses. Outreach will be through producer publications, grower meetings, and local beekeeping classes.