- Agronomic: general hay and forage crops, grass (misc. perennial), hay
- Animals: bovine
- Animal Production: feed rations, pasture renovation, winter forage, feed/forage
- Crop Production: no-till
- Education and Training: demonstration, farmer to farmer, on-farm/ranch research, workshop
- Farm Business Management: budgets/cost and returns, agricultural finance
- Production Systems: integrated crop and livestock systems
The goal is to provide quantitative and qualitative information about no-till renovation of pastures and hayfields using a pasture plate meter and forage analysis to see what changes in pasture quality can be measured. The farmer will also investigate the nutrient and production characteristics of different forage species no-tilled into existing sod stands and will develop calibration equations that can be reliably referenced back to tons per acre across different types of pasture. Outreach will be through a field day, pasture walk, and an article in a grass farmers’ newsletter.