- Agronomic: rye, sunflower
- Crop Production: intercropping, multiple cropping
- Education and Training: farmer to farmer, on-farm/ranch research
- Energy: bioenergy and biofuels
- Farm Business Management: whole farm planning
- Production Systems: organic agriculture
- Soil Management: green manures
This continues a previous SARE grant, and is designed to address weed pressure in high-oil-content sunflower plots that will be used to make biodiesel. Variety trials and interseeding treatments are now getting consistent results, but weed management remains a problem. The farmer will now explore whether some yield loss can be improved by adjusting the seeding dates, and will also look at how the costs and performance of buckwheat, hairy vetch, and crimson clover compare in a large-scale application. Outreach will be through extension twilight meetings supplemented by conferences and Farm Bureau events.